Environmental Product Declarations
Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs) are an essential tool in our efforts to minimise the environmental impact of water infrastructure. EPDs tell the life cycle story of a product in a single comprehensive report and details its potential environmental impact. Considering the EPDs of materials during design and procurement allows us to improve our decision making and demonstrates the steps we are taking towards our sustainability goals.
Importantly, EPDs provide manufacturers with insights into their processes and allow them to target improvements to reduce the environmental impact of their products. These efforts and stories are transferable an can amplify our progress towards a sustainable future.
At this year’s conference expo, we wish to highlight the important effort being undertaken across the water sector supply chain to develop EPDs and how they are being used to reduce environmental impacts. For product users we would like to highlight the importance of understanding EPDs and promote their use in sound environmental decision-making.
To this end, the conference will feature a panel outlining the use of EPDs, the exhibition will showcase existing supplier EPDs via a series of walking tours, and a pre-conference webinar series. More information for each of these initiatives is outlined below.
Exhibition walking tour
Join exhibitors to hear firsthand about their Environmental Product Declarations and how they have assisted in decarbonisation efforts.
Two walking tours will be held, visiting two exhibitor spaces each. Meet outside the exhibition lifts on level one to join the following two tours:
- 17th October, 12-12.30pm: Steelmains (booth 111) and Iplex Pipelines (booths 164 and 165)
- 18th October, 1.30-2pm: Humes (booths 011 and 012) and Reece Civil (booths 114 and 115)
Experiences developing and using EPD’s across the water service supply chain will be shared by practitioners in a dedicated conference panel.
Visit the programme for information on session time and location.
Environmental Product Declarations are an emerging tool to drive emissions reduction, and as such, we expect they will be new to many. The Water New Zealand Climate Change group has put together a webinar series leading up to our conference to introduce suppliers, and end users to EPDs so you can get the most out of your conference experience.
- Introduction to Environmental Product Declarations
- This webinar is suitable for all those wishing to advance their understanding of the process of producing, procuring and decision making using EPDs.
- How to develop and use EPDs
- This webinar helps further develop your understanding of EPDs and how they can be developed and used to improve environmental performance of water infrastructure development.