CH2M Beca Young Water Professional Of The Year
Nominations Close Friday, 25 August 2017
Established in 2009 the Young Water Professional of the Year is aimed at acknowledging and rewarding one young water professional who has made a significant contribution to the water industry and the general community, and has demonstrated exceptional achievement in the early stages of his or her career.
This award recognises that the water industry encompasses a wide field of disciplines including, but not limited to, research, policy development, law, education, engineering, consulting, construction and community initiatives.
Conditions of Entry
The Young Water Professional of the Year is open to individual members who are under 35 years of age with between 12 months and 15 years work or research experience in the water industry. Non-members may also apply if they have submitted an individual membership form with payment to Water New Zealand prior to, or at the same time as, their nomination form.
Nominees should include the following information.
Completed and signed nomination form.
Curriculum vitae (including photographs) as evidence of achieving one or more:
- a high level of academic achievement;
- at least 12 months work or research experience;
- demonstrated exceptional achievement in his or her career;
- outstanding communication skills; and
- commitment to volunteer activities. Two supporting statements of no more than 500 words written by peers of the candidate who work in the water industry. The statements must include telephone and email contact details of each of the referees. Ideally, one statement will be from the employer of the nominee. The second statement could be from a mentor, colleague, a Water New Zealand Board member or client. A personal statement written by the candidate addressing each of the issues outlined below in the context of their working environment. This should be no more than 500 words:
- an understanding of the role and purpose of the water profession within society;
- importance of good communication skills; and
- the future of the water industry. Optional: Supporting documentation may include; articles, media, conferences presented at and relevant websites. This is limited to a maximum of five pages.
The completed and signed nomination form along with accompanying documentation should be sent to the Chairman of the Judging Panel:
PO Box 6345
P: +64 9 300 9000
The closing date for applications for the 2017 Award is Friday, 25 August 2017.
Judges and Judges Criteria
All entries will be assessed by a panel of three judges. The judging panel will comprise:
- one young water professional as nominated by the Chair of the Technical Committee;
- one Water New Zealand representative as nominated by the President; and
- one industry representative nominated by Water New Zealand’s premier sponsors (from an organisation without a nominee for this award).
The judges reserve the right to not offer the award, or to offer an additional certificate of achievement, depending on the quality of entries. The judges’ decision will be final. The successful candidate will be endorsed by the Technical Committee of Water New Zealand prior to an announcement at the annual conference.
The Young Water Professional of the Year will receive a trophy along with cash or in-kind goods or services to the value of $2,750 GST incl. from the sponsor. The successful candidate will be endorsed by the Technical Committee of Water New Zealand prior to an announcement at the Conference.
The CH2M Beca Young Water Professional; of the Year award will be presented at the Downer Awards Dinner on Thursday, 21 September 2017.
Water New Zealand thanks CH2M Beca for its generous sponsoring of this award since 2009.